Katherine Howell has tagged me for the 123 meme. I'm not usually a big meme fan but as this one is literary so I'll see what I come up with.
1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you.
1. Oddly enough the book is The Well Dressed Explorer by Thea Astley. I haven't read this yet, but should do so by the end of next year - and that's too long a story to
explain just yet. The reason why this book in particular happens to be sitting on my desk relates to Wikipedia. One of the editors there, who is also interested in Australia literature, was convinced that the title was actually The Well-Dressed Explorer (you have to look closely). So I got the book off the shelf to check. You'll be pleased to know, or maybe you just don't give a rats, that Wikipedia is now back on track in this regard. Ah yes, the small things that amuse us.
2. Page 123, yes, got that.
3. Fifth sentence: if the first line starts in the middle of a sentence does this count as one? I'll say yes. 4. "...I'd like to include it, but I think it's a bit precious. Have a look, will you, George? And there's a two-part essay on the language problem for the Missionary that seems over-technical.." I have no idea what this relates to.
5. Just about everyone in the litblog world has been tagged with this one. If you want it it's yours.