Delicensed in 1921, the old White Horse Hotel, with its familiar carved sign, from 1853 the first changing place for Cobb & Co. coaches on the Lilydale run, is now to be torn down to make way for brick houses.
In olden days the Old White Horse Stood brave against the sky; And ne'er a teamster shaped his course To pass the good inn by. Far shone its lights o' winter nights To beckon weary men; By the long road where calm life flowed It loomed a landmark then. And many a good right yarn was spun Mid pewter-pots agleam; And mnay a friendship here begun Grew riper as the team Drew down the road its precious load Of merchandise or mail, And faced the ills of long, steep hills To far-off Lilydale. The tap-room rang to many a song, While patient teams stood there; And talk and laughter loud and long Held nothing of despair; For spoke they then, those bearded men, Of fortunes shining near -- Spoke with a grand faith in their land, A faith that laughed at fear. Gone are the days and gone the ways Of easy, calm content; Yet few supposed an epoch closed The day the old inn went. Now, past brick homes trim and cold, The swift cars, speeding by, Shall see no beacon as of old, Shall see no brave White Horse stand bold Against a hopeful sky.
|Copyright © Perry Middlemiss 2005|